Leading the way in WA with steel framing
Summit Homes is one of Western Australia’s most well-known builders and with over forty years of experience they have a reputation for building high-quality homes. Since 2010 Summit Homes has offered steel house framing made from TRUECORE® steel in all of their home designs and have been at the forefront of innovative lightweight steel construction methods.
In addition to developing their own roof truss system that is now used in 90% of their homes, Summit Homes also uses frames made from TRUECORE® steel to speed up the delivery of their second-storey home renovations. This method involves building second storey modules off-site at Summit’s headquarters and then once complete, transporting them to site and craning the module into place. Each of these prefabricated modules is built using a fully engineered steel framing system made from TRUECORE® steel, and roofing made from COLORBOND® steel. This off-site solution is also used to build granny flats and studios which can be craned into an unused space in backyards, helping to minimise the disruption of construction to homeowners.
- To reduce build times and allow for greater design flexibility across all Summit Homes houses.
- Speed up the build times of second-storey home renovations and cause less disruption to homeowners and surrounding neighbours throughout the construction process.
Key Benefits Delivered:
- Design versatility:
- The impressive strength-to-weight ratio of frames made from TRUECORE® steel has enabled Summit Homes Group to create designs with modern roof lines, architectural features and long spans, delivering an abundance of natural light.
- The fast and efficient installation of steel frames made from TRUECORE® steel has enabled Summit Homes to reduce build times, and for their homeowner customers to be able to move into their new homes sooner than if they had a traditional ‘double brick build’.
- By manufacturing their frames made from TRUECORE® steel in a weatherproof facility, Summit Homes operates in a controlled environment with no weather related delays.
- Since the frames made from TRUECORE® steel are precision engineered and dimensionally accurate, less on-site adjustment is needed.
- For the second-storey modular additions, homeowners can stay living in their homes whilst the upper-storey module is being constructed off-site. This then eliminates the need for homeowners to rent elsewhere during this stage of the construction.
- Reduced on-site waste:
- The off-site fabrication of the frames results in a cleaner building site and minimises on-site mess and waste.
- Peace of mind:
- Frames made from TRUECORE® steel are 100% termite and borer proof.
- When used as part of the NASH bushfire standard, frames made from TRUECORE® steel can provide simple design solutions to achieve NCC compliance when building in a bushfire zone1.
- David Hochwald-Jones, Chief Executive Officer, Summit Homes
Summit Homes CEO, David Hochwald-Jones explained that they’ve been working with BlueScope since 2010 and that roof trusses made from TRUECORE® steel are currently used in over 90% of their home builds.
“Our single-minded commitment to building homes of the highest quality is unwavering, so we’re always seeking the most effective and efficient processes. That’s why we’re now offering a fully engineered steel framing system made from TRUECORE® steel on all our homes. Just like us, it’s innovative, strong and durable,” said Mr Hochwald-Jones.
He continued, “We’re proud to have used the versatility of TRUECORE® steel in some of our latest Summit Homes designs, such as the ‘Mod’, ‘Muse’ and ‘Triloph’, as well as all of our double-storey Summit Homes designs and New Generation Loft designs. We believe lightweight steel framing made from TRUECORE® steel is the future, which is why we’ve invested so heavily.”
Summit Homes enjoys a close working relationship with BlueScope, and as Mr Hochwald-Jones explained, “Partnering with BlueScope allows us to deliver a high quality product to our clients and they also appreciate us using a local supplier. It gives them and us a lot of confidence.”
- Location: Western Australia
- Principal Steel Products: TRUECORE® steel
If you’re interested in finding out more about Summit Homes and building with frames made from TRUECORE® steel, please visit their website.
To download a brochure of this case study, please click here.
1 For further information on building to the NASH Standard – Steel Framed Construction in Bushfire Areas please visit nash.asn.au
The content of this case study is based on statements made by the sources listed above and is a reflection of their views and experience. Same/similar results are not guaranteed for each user and outcomes may vary across projects.