CENTURION FRAMING SYSTEMS AND HOMEBUYERS CENTRE: An innovative framing system yields many benefits
Centurion Framing Systems was established in 2017 by the same family team as Centurion Garage Doors. One of their first clients was WA-based builder, Homebuyers Centre who are part of the ABN Group (owned by Dale Alcock). Homebuyers Centre specialise in building houses for the first-homeowner market.
In late 2017, Homebuyers Centre was looking to improve the build times for their two-storey houses. Soon afterwards they were approached by Centurion Framing Systems who told them about the specialised installation process that they were developing. To demonstrate the speed at which their system of framing made from TRUECORE® steel can be constructed, Centurion built a two-storey house frame for Homebuyers Centre off-site on their Bayswater premises.
Says Homebuyers Centre General Manager, Simon Birkhead of the initial partnership, “Centurion came back with a really innovative way of building two-storey homes off-site and then transporting them to the site in modules. Then they actually built the two-storey house frame – to show us that they could do it.”
- Simon Birkhead, General Manager, Homebuyers Centre (SB)
- Steve Canning, Managing Director, Centurion Framing Systems (SC)
- To reduce build times for Homebuyers Centre two-storey houses. (SB) (SC)
Key Benefits Delivered (SB):
- By using the Centurion framing system for Homebuyers Centre’s two-storey homes, build times were reduced down to 16 weeks due to the frames being manufactured off-site, and then delivered to the site in modules.
- Ease of installation:
- Since TRUECORE® steel is lightweight, it allowed for quicker transportation of the frames around the site.
- Trades praised the framing made from TRUECORE® steel for being millimetre precise.
- Reduced on-site waste:
- Minimised on-site waste due to off-site manufacturing.
The success of the first site build was so positive for Homebuyers Centre that in March 2018, they transitioned all their narrow/small lot homes to be built using steel framing made from TRUECORE® steel, and currently have many projects in the pipeline.
Says Mr Birkhead, of the transition to steel framing made from TRUECORE® steel, “The reason we went to steel is [that] it’s a lot quicker for us. It’s lighter to transport and minimises site waste. And engineering wise it’s obviously a great product with it being straight and true, and millimetre precise. It pretty much halves the build-time for us using the steel framing method.”
Steve Canning, Managing Director of Centurion Framing Systems attributes their early success to the downstream installation of their frames and the impact that this has on the wider team. “To get acceptance you need a manufacturer that is fully engaged in the outcome... the supplier needs to be fully committed to giving a good experience not only for the builder, but for the trades on site.”
Together Centurion Framing Systems and Homebuyers Centre are currently retraining carpenters on steel framing and will be rolling out a complete retraining program in the near future.
- Project: Two-storey homes, then subsequently narrow/small lot homes
- Location: Western Australia
- Principal Steel Products: TRUECORE® steel
- Builder: Homebuyers Centre
- Steel Fabricator: Centurion Framing Systems
For more information about Centurion Framing Systems and their unique design and installation process, please visit https://www.cframing.com.au
To discover more about Homebuyers Centre and their customer-centric approach please visit https://www.homebuyers.com.au
Plus, watch this time-lapse video of Centurion Framing Systems installing frames made from TRUECORE® steel for Homebuyers Centre. Watch now.
The content of this case study is based on statements made by the sources listed above and is a reflection of their views and experience. Same/similar results are not guaranteed for each user and outcomes may vary across projects. TRUECORE®, BlueScope and the BlueScope brand mark are registered trade marks of BlueScope Steel Limited. © 2020 BlueScope Steel Limited ABN 16 000 011 058. All rights reserved.