Improving design outcomes while achieving cost efficiencies in a complex custom residential build.
Hobbs Building & Interiors is an award-winning, residential and commercial builder located in the heart of the Scenic Rim region of Queensland. Husband and wife team, Luke and Nikki Hobbs have 20+ years of experience, and specialise in eco-friendly construction, and building with steel frames.
Executive Director and Builder, Luke Hobbs, is very experienced with steel frame building. Following his carpentry apprenticeship, Luke commenced a subcontract career with Australian Framing Solutions (AFS) – South East Queensland’s largest fabricator of light-gauge steel frames. Their alliance has continued, and Hobbs now purchase all of their frames made from TRUECORE® steel from them.
Framing made from TRUECORE® steel is Hobbs preferred material for a number of reasons. Says Director Nikki Hobbs, “We choose to recommend frames made from TRUECORE® steel to all of our new-build clients. TRUECORE® steel has fantastic properties, including being termite and borer proof, not contributing to the spread of fire, and the ease of pre-fabricated installation.”
Jake Gundry, CEO at AFS echoes this statement and added: “Quality is key to the AFS promise, we always deliver consistent results across our end-to-end services (design, engineering, manufacturing, to installation). TRUECORE® steel offers reliability – it’s precision that really counts for builders and that the material is durable. We trust TRUECORE® steel for its consistency and corrosion protective coating. It is also backed by a warranty of up to 50 years for eligible applicants* from BlueScope.”
In 2017 Hobbs was approached by a family who live and work overseas, to build them their dream house on a tricky sloping site set high in the rainforest hills of Mount Tamborine. The home’s design is spread across two-levels and included three bedrooms, an office, four bathrooms, wine cellar, gymnasium and an underground water tank.
A timber frame with structural steel support was initially proposed for the build but was discarded in favour of a more cost-efficient alternative – framing made from TRUECORE® steel. Since TRUECORE® steel has an impressive strength-to-weight ratio, this choice added an additional benefit - the removal of an awkwardly placed structural pole in the middle of the living area. The removal of this pole, helped to create the ideal open and expansive feel the family had dreamed up - one that celebrated the surrounding rainforest setting with uninterrupted views. Using framing made from TRUECORE® steel also gave the family peace of mind knowing the frame is not only termite and borer proof but also won’t catch fire.
- Nikki Hobbs, Director and Interior Designer, Hobbs Building & Interiors
- Jake Gundry, CEO at Australian Framing Solutions (AFS)
- To build an architecturally-designed home on a sloping site, located 2.5m from a sheer cliff face.
Key Benefits Delivered:
- Design flexibility:
- Using framing made from TRUECORE® steel meant that the vast expanses and openings could be achieved without the need for an awkwardly placed 90x90 steel pole in the middle of the living area.
- Cost savings:
- Hobbs estimated that the switch to using AFS frames made from TRUECORE® steel yielded cost savings for the homeowner in excess of $10,000 in comparison to a timber frame and structural steel construction.
- Peace of mind:
- Frames made from TRUECORE® steel are 100% insecticide-free and termite proof, so it's an ideal choice if you want to minimise the use of insecticides when building your home.
- TRUECORE® steel won't ignite or contribute to the spread of fire and is backed by a warranty of up to 50-years for eligible applicants* from BlueScope.
The homeowners were so pleased with their house that they threw Luke and Nikki a party to celebrate upon the completion of the project!
Hobbs Building & Interiors also picked up a number of awards associated with the Mount Tamborine Rainforest House including:
- 2019 Scenic Rim Regional Council Excellence in Business Awards:
- Trades & Construction
- Apprentice of the Year
- 2019 Master Builders Queensland (Gold Coast):
- Rising Star
- Best Use of Sloping Site
Hobbs continues their partnership with AFS and is currently collaborating with them again on another stunning home in Canungra in Queensland, that is built using frames made from TRUECORE® steel and is locally designed by Pride Home Designs.
- Project: Mount Tamborine Rainforest House
- Location: Mount Tamborine, QLD
- Designer: Cameron Design Logic
- Principal Steel Products:
- Frames: TRUECORE® steel
- Roofing: COLORBOND® steel in the colour Surfmist®
- Gutters and fascia: COLORBOND® steel in the colour Shale Grey®
- Builder: Hobbs Building & Interiors
- Steel Fabricator: Australian Framing Solutions
The content of this case study is based on statements made by the sources listed above and is a reflection of their views and experience. Same/similar results are not guaranteed for each user and outcomes may vary across projects. *Warranty currently offered for residential applications only and is subject to application and eligibility criteria. Commercial warranties may be available on application. For full terms and conditions and to determine the eligibility of your building for a warranty visit warranties.bluescopesteel.com.au or call BlueScope on 1800 800 789.