Maxispan | Steel Frame Efficiency Benefits Case Study
“I have a genuine passion for off-site construction and the benefits it can bring to the builder and developer.”
Craig Fleming, Managing Director, Maxispan
Maxispan Steel Building Frames is a South Australian based fabricator that supplies local builders and developers with fully engineered steel framing solutions. Their product range includes wall frames, roof trusses, floor joists and most recently, flooring cassettes, which are all made from TRUECORE® steel.
Maxispan’s floor cassette system consists of open web floor trusses made from TRUECORE® steel, particleboard and wet area floor sheeting. The floor cassettes are manufactured and preassembled off-site in Maxispan’s outer-Adelaide factory. Each floor cassette system is created to an optimum size based on the individual building’s floor area and transport restrictions. The finished floor area for each cassette typically ends up being between 18m2 to 22m2.
- Craig Fleming, Managing Director, Maxispan
Key Benefits Delivered:
- Maxispan’s wall frames are made from TRUECORE® steel and come with recessed fixings and pre-punched service holes. This makes it more efficient for follow-on trades such as plumbing, data and electrical services.
- Due to the off-site prefabrication of the frames, fewer trades are required on-site which contributes to a fast and highly efficient installation.
- The trial installation of the floor cassette system resulted in substantial on-site time savings with fewer people on-site and for shorter periods of time.
- With the floor cassettes being manufactured in a controlled environment, there are no delays due to weather.
- Each floor cassette is fitted with lifting lugs to help ensure the safe and efficient lifting from the truck to the top of the wall frames on-site. In most instances, truck or trailer mounted HIAB cranes can be used which negates the need for a separate crane to be organised.
- The trusses made from TRUECORE® steel offer straight and true roof and ceiling lines and the wall frames maintain a straight and flat surface that is ideal for the installation of internal linings and external claddings.
- Reduced on-site waste:
- Since the framing systems are prefabricated and delivered to site in time for installation, no storage is needed on-site.
- The prefabrication of the frames also means less rubbish is left on-site.
- Peace of mind:
- Maxispan’s products made from TRUECORE® steel are 100% termite proof.
With an experienced team of in-house steel framing design and manufacturing specialists, and strong relationships with accomplished steel frame erectors, Maxispan has proven capability and capacity in delivering a steel frame solution from design through to the installation stage. Managing Director, Craig Fleming, says “I have a genuine passion for off-site construction and the benefits it can bring to the builder and developer. Our prefabricated frames made from TRUECORE® steel lend themselves to that style of construction. And with our prefabricated lightweight steel frames, we have quality control processes in place during the manufacturing stage and this results in precision frames and very little on-site waste.”
The future is bright for Maxispan with forward orders exceeding their expectations. “Working with TRUECORE® steel has proven itself time and time again as being the right choice for our business. We have a lot of confidence and we’re definitely seeing a shift in the industry towards more lightweight steel frame construction”, said Mr Fleming.
- Location: South Australia
- Principal Steel Products: TRUECORE® steel
- Steel Fabricator: Maxispan Steel Building Frames
If you’re interested in finding out more about Maxispan and building with frames made from TRUECORE® steel, please visit Maxispan’s website: www.maxispan.com.au
To download a brochure of this case study, please click here.
The content of this case study is based on statements made by the sources listed above and is a reflection of their views and experience. Same/similar results are not guaranteed for each user and outcomes may vary across projects.